Chiropractic in Roseville California. If you are not sick, we advise to check out the recommended immune supplements below, and come into our Roseville chiropractic center to be adjusted. One of the many benefits of chiropractic is to boost and activate your immune system. Regular chiropractic adjustments promote overall health and well being. They are not, however an effective treatment for this or any virus once you have it. So, if you are sick, stay home, rest, avoid contact with others and use immune boosting supplements.
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE CORONAVIRUS
As you’ve likely heard in the news, there have been multiple confirmed cases of COVID-19, the illness caused by the novel Coronavirus, in Placer and Sacramento counties and surrounding areas. We at Twin Creeks Health are sending out this special bulletin out of an abundance of caution for our patients. It is important for patients to understand some basics about the illness, and we also have included a list of supplements we are recommending patients have on hand for immune support at this time.
Projection: the virus is projected to expand in the United States and likely be widespread by mid to late March and April. There are many precautions you can take that we recommend during influenza season and are absolutely applicable now.
- Avoid handshaking. You can use an elbow or fist bump, or even an air hug
- Opening doors – use closed fist or hip, do not grasp the handle if you can avoid it.
- Operating switches or buttons – use knuckles to operate light switches, elevator buttons, etc.
- Wash hands when you get home for 10 to 20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol based sanitizer.
- Carry hand sanitizer and keep in your car for when you cannot wash your hands immediately.
- When you cough, use a disposable tissue and discard. Coughing or sneezing into your elbow can result in virus being stored in your clothes for up to a week or more.
- This is a lung specific virus with a preferred mode of transmission through the nose and mouth. Keep hands away from face to prevent this route of contamination. Masks are helpful to keep from touching the face.
Symptoms – Fever, cough, and shortness of breath
Transmission – Symptoms may not develop until 2-14 days after exposure to an ill party.
If you have the symptoms of fever, cough, and shortness of breath or have been exposed to someone suspected to have coronavirus:
- Do not rush to the hospital to get tested at the first sign of fever or cough unless your health is declining and you need urgent medical attention.
- Care for yourself at home, staying home from work and social events whenever possible.
- Please do not come into our clinic if you are sick with a cough, sneezing and fever, though we know chiropractic care can help stimulate your immune system, out of concern for others we ask that you postpone your adjustment until symptoms are under control.
Ways to enhance your immune system
Several nutrients and herbs have shown to be effective at reducing coronavirus activity, based on research on the related SARS virus.
- Vitamin C – helps restore/ maintain immune function by negating histamine induced immunosuppression. Several human clinical trials have shown benefit of supplemental vitamin C given orally at 1 to 2 grams three times per day.
- D deficiency is linked with increased severity of acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), which is often the cause of fatality in novel coronavirus and influenza.
We recommend a sublingual Vitamin D that bypasses the digestive system and is more bioavailable. Please call our clinic to see if we have it in stock (there is a high demand)
- Licorice root – Both immune boosting and directly antiviral
- Elderberry -research demonstrates that Sambucusnigra extract can inhibit pathogenic coronavirus at an early point in infection, probably by rendering the virus non-infectious. Consider as a preventive strategy.
- Green Tea Extract – exhibits potent antiviral activity.
- Garlic shows inhibitory effects on similar viruses. Garlic is in a family of plants that contain a protein lectin shown to inhibit coronavirus. Fresh-crushed garlic probably has some anti-infective effects in the mouth and throat, but also has very good activity in the lungs.
- Selenium – viruses replicate more readily in a selenium deficient environment
There is a product available at local health food stores, that I think is particularly effective. It is “Immune Defense Syrup” by Western s Botanicals. It is sold at Sunrise Natural Foods under their own label. Not tasty (yuck!), but effective.